Sunday, October 01, 2006

Brick -Simply excellent and maybe tailor-made for me and my obsession with noir flicks lately- Brick takes the conventions of noir and mixes them into a modern high school.Sure you have to suspend your disbelief when it comes to the modern teenagers all speaking like 40s detectives,tramps and coppers.The movie worked for me because of the surreal atmosphere,the absurd dialogue and the plot.This low budget flick was writer-director Rian Johnson's first movie and was concieved as a tribute to Dashiel Hammett.Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Frye an outsider trying to save his girlfriend(Emilie De Raven(Lost)) from falling in with the wrong crowd.Soon he finds himself in the middle of a drug war between Tug and the Pin.For a low budget flick they managed to wrangle some beautiful shots out of the suburban settings. This may not work for everyone - but it blew me away from the first scene til the end.One of my favorite indies that I have seen this year (the other being the funny Film Geek).Sure this is low budget and unrealistic - but it is also fun,engrossing and has etched itself into my cranium. A
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

No comments: