Sunday, April 01, 2012

Wrestlemania 28: Once in a Lifetime




Wrestlemania 28

Once in a Lifetime: Rock vs Cena

In front of 78,363 folks in Miami, Florida WWE took front and center stage as it streamed and beamed its yearly extravaganza to an eager WWE universe. I admit I had lapsed into fandom and was anticipating this strong card mixing the top stars of current day WWE superstars with legendary figures from the WWE attitude era. However tonight’s mania was whelming, it was solid – well executed with several decent matches, but I was not blown away by the event. Maybe it was because I was at a house party instead of a packed Buffalo Wild Wings and for some reason there was random talk about a local indie show during the matches. I really don’t know. I enjoyed the closely contested match between CM Punk and Chris Jericho for the world title, of course I had hoped that Jericho would win, but CM Punk won the match to retain the strap. Maybe I was thrown askew when well respected WWE champion Daniel Bryan lost the opening match of the card and the title to Sheamus in 18 seconds. Yeah one swift breaugh kick and Sheamus was the new champion. The Team Johnny vs Team Teddy match simply did not catch my imagination, except for a few high spots the crowd did not seem to be into the match either. Because of a win by team Johnny, Johnny Ace is now the GM of both Raw and Smackdown. I was also taken aback by the early placement of the Undertaker and Triple H match, commencing at 8 pm and billed as the end of the era. It was a good match , a little showey/theatrical at times- but solid.

But really the match that was on the minds of everybody(well the folks that watch wrestling) movie star Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson versus current company standard bearer John Cena. The match was hyped for over a year and for the most part delivered – the crowd was into the match from opening bell until the Rock caught John Cena attempting to clown him and snatched the victory with a rock bottom to get a huge pop from the crowd.

Overall this is a solid mania- maybe not living up to the strong crowd, but better than the hype for the event. I enjoyed it and my friends enjoyed it - so that is what is important

No comments: