Sunday, March 16, 2014

Just too easy.....

or is it . Is it too easy to obtain music or has it been slowed down by the tons of new content that is flooding the interweb? I have been a music fan all my life. I went from singing bluegrass and old-timey music with my parents at weekly parties to buying Thriller by Michael Jackson on cassette.



Then I was obsessed with MJ and then Prince after seeing Purple Rain.



 Prince led me to funk and ska and Hendrix and Sly Stone and other groovy tunes. I can remember staying after school to buy the cassette to Around the World in a Day and then trudging thru the snow to purchase Parade the following the year. My high school years were a time of great musical discovery , borrowing cassettes from friends by artists ranging from Thin Lizzy to the Replacements.



I was lucky enough to go to a performing arts camp in New Jersey that led me to discover the Fleshtones, Sigue Sigue Sputnik Dead Milkmen , the Boogie Boys and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince among others.





 In college I met my wife and we were 2 musical searchers who could not stop. I first noticed her when she entered my dorm-room and my life and was looking not just at the spine of my tape collection but also reading the listings for all of my mix-tapes. That year led to a lifelong appreciation of the Talking Heads and Sinead O'Connor and a chance discovery of the Times Square soundtrack and the single to "Read About it" by Midnight Oil at a flea market. That year also was the year I discovered Living Color and the Red Hot Chili Peppers - and I purchased both albums because I loved the cover art and was looking for something new to listen to. RHCP were between contracts and they were hard to find - just like old P-Funk records. Happily due to the resurgence of RHCP and the success of Living Color and sampling by hip-hop ,  the entire P-Funk catalogue re-emerged.




I also discovered Lyle Lovett when I was a part-time DJ at a country station - the mighty WYTI.




After dropping out of college to be a rock star I was lucky that I landed a job as a DJ with Astro DJs in Hampton Roads- this eventually led to a career as a concert promoter and I was lucky enough to work in several genres over the years.






                                          
 Around 2000 or so Napster hit and while it was invigorating to finally hear songs that had either never were released or had been out of print it was a turning point for music in many ways.




Pandora's box was open - music fans just needed to point and click and they could find whatever they wanted. Sadly this led to less money for the content creators and even more stringent genre sub-division. Now I start each day browsing Soundcloud hoping to find the next song of the moment, sometimes in an embarrassment of riches I can't recall the song that moved me so much just days earlier that I have to check my notes. I love that each day usually brings me something sonically that makes me laugh think or dance, I do cringe when I see folks say that music sucks now or there is nothing out there-there is plenty out there and quality, not just quantity of all types- you just have to look and if you want to - you can pay .

  ok that was a ramble- I thought I had an idea or thought when I started- but the bottomline is I love music and am happy it is part of my life.


This week I will be attending the Lucero concert at Peabody's in Virginia Beach Tuesday March 18 , then I will DJing the early part of the Boneshakers/Killroos show at Peabody's on March 22





 and then March 25 I will be playing goth and industrial at Doomgloom in Norfolk.


No comments: